La Mothe Saint-Héray  
                                            
                                               
The pretty town of La Mothe Saint-Héray, set within valleys and crossed by the "Sèvre Niortaise" river,
was born historically from the fusion of two boroughs, one built around the church of  Saint-Héray,
and the other around the castle of La Mothe,
which belonged since the XIIth Century to the barons of Lusignan.




                     


      
     




Visits:
 

The beautiful "Orangerie" and its French gardens which was part of the castle of La Mothe demolished in 1842.
    The church dates from 1498 but was totally transformed at the end of the XIXth century. Three naves with gothic vaults, the keystones adorned with the arms of the builders, a portal surmounted by a rosette.

    The "Maison de la Haute-Sèvre" and the "Pont l'Abbé", an attractive watermill, dating from 1041, totally renovated and in perfect working order.
    There you will find the Tourist Office, the municipal library and the "Rosière" museum.
    Just like the "Orangerie", these buildings often host temporary exhibitions.